Bijapur (Vijayapur) is one of the major city in northern Karnataka state of India. Bijapur is 525 km from Bangalore. The city situated at border with the state of Maharashtra has many marvelous archaeological monuments.
Bijapur trace back its history to late 900s; ruled by Chalukyas, Mughals and Marathas Bijapur was later conquered by the east indian company. The town consists of three distinctive area : the citadel, fort and the remains of the city.
Bijapur has various archaeological monuments which are a treat to watch. The rich history of the place can very well be explored by roaming around the streets.
- Gol Gumbaz – Tomb of Mohammed Adil Shah is the largest dome in India and second in the world. Whispering gallery in the tomb is very famous where one can hear very minute sound clearly 37 meters away. Bijapur railway station is less than 1 km from Gol Gumbaj.
- Museum – Situated near the Gol Gumbaj, various objects like paintings, sculptures, weapons can be seen here.
- Ibrahim Rauza Tomb – Tomb of Ibrahim Adil Shah second, situated at the western outskirt of the city , five kms from the Bijapur Railway Station
- Almatti Dam – A natural picnic spot sitauated roughly 65 km from the city, built on river Krishna.
- Shivgiri Temple – 3 Km from the Bijapur station, this Lord Shiva temples is quite famous among the devotees.
Road: Bijapur is well connected by road to Solapur, Kolhapur, Hyderabad, Hubali, Bellary and Bangalore.
Rail: Bijapur is connected to various major cities – Mysore, Solapur, Hubbali, Mumbai, Bikaner, Hyderabad, Bangalore etc.
Air: Nearest airports are Belgaum – 164 km and Hubli – 167 Km
Intercity: Autos are available for local transport in the city. Four-wheeler vehicles operated by local transport companies can be availed to travel in the city.
Food: North Karnataka food is available in abundance
Climate: The temperature varies from 20 to 40 degrees during summer and 15 to 25 degree Celsius during winters.
Stay: A wide variety of hotels are available ranging from budget hotels to high end luxury ones. Karnataka tourism affiliated hotels are preferable.
The Experience: In Bijapur one can enjoy the history which dates back to ancient times. Gol Gumbaj is marvel both in terms of archaeology and antiquity.